Becoming a paramedic
NSW Ambulance accepts applications from people with a diverse range of backgrounds. Applicants from the following groups are strongly encouraged to apply: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who speak a first language other than English, and women. To be eligible to apply, you need to hold either citizenship or permanent residency in Australia, or citizenship in New Zealand.
Qualified paramedics who have an accredited qualification and can demonstrate satisfactory knowledge and understanding of ambulance practice can apply to NSW Ambulance as a qualified paramedic. Qualified paramedics may apply at any time. For more information please visit the Qualified Paramedics recruitment page.
Paramedic intern (graduate entry)
Applications for Paramedic intern positions will be advertised on this website from Friday 1st August 2014 until Monday 25th August 2014.
Applicants who have completed an accredited tertiary qualification in paramedical studies or are in their final year of studying this qualification are welcomed to apply.
Accredited courses can be found through the Council of Ambulance Authorities website.
For more information regarding paramedic courses - including content, entry requirements and the universities that offer them in NSW - visit UTAS - Paramedic Practice, CSU - Clinical Practice (Paramedic), UWS - Paramedicine.
Recruitment and selection process
STEP 1: Are you ready to apply for a paramedic intern role?
You will need:
- To download and read the Paramedic Intern: Recruitment and Selection information booklet
- Proof you have completed, or are in the final year of study, of an accredited course, as well as certified copies of relevant qualifications and an official transcript of currently enrolled subjects
- Proof of Australian or New Zealand citizenship or Australian permanent residency (i.e. passport, birth certificate)
- Proof of Australian driver's licence, including current driving history from each country and state you have driven in
- A current resume and details of two (2) referees
- A completed Form 188 with evidence of vaccination records.
As a paramedic you must be willing to:
- Potentially relocate to any part of NSW as required by NSW Ambulance
- Have and maintain a good level of medical and physical fitness to pass our health assessments
- Obtain an unrestricted light rigid (LR) licence before starting employment.
STEP 2: Submitting your application
Applications are to be submitted via the NSW Health Online Recruitment System (eRecruit).
You will be required to upload all the documentation mentioned in Step 1 and address the selection criteria. These criteria are essential requirements for the role of paramedic intern.
In addressing the selection criteria, you should explain your skills, knowledge and experience that supports your application.STEP 3
: I've applied - what happens next?
Your application will pass through several stages during the recruitment selection process. Applicants are assessed at each stage and successful candidates are added to the eligibility list in order of merit.STEP 4
: I didn't get in... now what?
Applicants may re-apply during the next recruitment campaign. Paramedic intern recruitment occurs every year. NSW Ambulance also advertises regularly on eRecruit (http://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au
) for positions such as trainee communications assistant, trainee control centre officer, patient transport officer and other corporate roles.Trainee paramedic (vocational entry)Applications are currently closed for trainee paramedic vocational entry. We do not anticipate to advertise for these positions until late 2015 or after.
Applicants with no prior medical experience can apply for trainee paramedic positions. As a trainee paramedic, you will undertake the nationally-accredited Diploma of Paramedical Science over three years delivered by the NSW Ambulance Education Centre in Sydney.
To apply you will need to:
- Hold an unrestricted Drivers Licence with a good driving record
- Be willing to gain an Unrestricted Light Rigid Drivers Licence as a condition of employment
- Provide evidence of Mandatory Vaccinations
- Be willing to relocate to any part of NSW as required by the job
- Have a good level of medical and physical fitness to pass our health assessments
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or a NZ Citizen.
Applicants already working within the health system (e.g. nurses, defence medics) may be able to fast-track their training or commence on a higher rate of pay through the trainee paramedic pathway. NSW Ambulance assesses qualifications and experience during the application process. For more information, visit Recognition of Prior Learning.
Still haven't got all your questions answered? Contact us for further assistance.