Ambulance Service of New South Wales
  1. Home
  2. Our Performance
  3. Workforce Statistics
  4. Workforce Statistics for 2009
Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size

Workforce Statistics for 2009

As at 30 June 2009 we employed 4,013 staff, of which 91 per cent are operational staff involved in the front line delivery of services. The remaining 9 per cent are corporate and support staff employed in areas such as mechanical workshops, finance and payroll, human resources and administration, which support the delivery of our services.

Workforce numbers

Staff category breakdown June 2009 June 2008 June 2007
Ambulance Clinical Services (mobile) 3,298.4 3,105.6 3,056.2
Ambulance Clinical Services (control centres) 288.3 261.9 249.7
Corporate Services 196.2 193.8 188.8
Hotel Services 15.3 15.3 15.4
Maintenance & Trades 57.0 56.0 62.0
Medical 14.2 13.6 5.2
Nursing 35.5 32.3 27.6
Scientific & technical clinical support staff 8.0 8.0 8.0
Support staff 100.5 91.8 88.2
Grand Total 4,013.5 3,778.3 3,700.9

In 2008/09, 348 paramedics were recruited, which is a substantially higher recruitment figure than previous years. Of these new staff 323 were trainee paramedics and 25 were qualified paramedics and intensive care paramedics. The increase in front line staff is required to accommodate new roster changes, implement an expanded frontline management structure and meet an increasing demand for our services.

Staff turnover
We have a highly skilled and professional workforce employed across all facets of our operations and support services and invest a great deal of time and effort into looking after our employees. The development of staff wellbeing programs, such as Healthy Workplace Strategies introduced in 2009, aims to improve workplace culture, help staff members resolve issues causing concern in the workplace and ensure that they remain happy and committed.

Headcount and resignation numbers for 2008/09 by operational officer type is provided below.

Note: To accurately measure staff turnover, headcount (not full time equivalent) numbers are used as some staff may work on a part time or job-share basis.

Officer type Headcount as at
30 June 2009
Resignations
2008/09
Resignation as %
of officer type
Paramedic Trainees 258 33 12.79%
Paramedic Interns 370 7 1.89%
Paramedics 1,375 73 5.31%
Paramedic Specialists 748 20 2.67%
Patient Transport Officers 161 8 4.97%
Team Leaders 195 5 2.56%
Station Managers 53 - 0.00%
Nurses 40 3 7.50%
Other Operational 362 15 4.14%
Total 3,304 131 3.96%

Definitions of Officer Type
Paramedic Trainee: Trainee paramedics have completed an eight week induction course studying preliminary clinical and practical skills and undertaken driver awareness assessments. Trainee paramedics are assigned to a training station, either metropolitan or regional, where they commence a nine month on-road training program with an on-road clinical mentor applying their studies to a practical environment and are provided with full-time supervision.

Paramedic Intern: Paramedic Interns have completed their first 12 months of service and a further three weeks of classroom study, training and assessments and are continuing to apply their studies to a practical environment.

Paramedics: Paramedics have completed a three year (or equivalent) period of training, study and on-road practical, obtained a Diploma in Paramedical Science and are qualified as a paramedic. They have the ability to apply many life saving skills and drug administrations to assist in a wide variety of illnesses and accidental injuries.

Paramedic Specialist: After two year's experience within Ambulance, paramedics can apply to undertake specialist roles including Intensive Care Paramedic, Special Casualty Access Team Paramedic, Extended Care Paramedic and Rescue Paramedic.

Station Manager / Team Leader: Stations Managers are responsible for managing all the resources of their designated station including human, financial, equipment, etc. Team Leaders are responsible for managing station resources when station managers are on days off or during periods of leave.

Flight Nurse: Flight nurses are registered nurses employed by Ambulance for flight duties on our fixed wing aircraft.

Other Operational: This category includes operational managers, clinical/paramedic educators working in Ambulance education centres across the State, district officers and clinical training officers