Ambulance Service of New South Wales
  1. Home
  2. Our Performance
  3. Workforce Statistics
  4. Workforce Statistics for 2010
Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size

Workforce Statistics for 2010

As at 30 June 2010 we employed 4,125 staff, of which 90 per cent are operational staff involved in the front line delivery of services. The remaining 10 per cent are corporate and support staff employed in areas such as mechanical workshops, finance and payroll, human resources and administration, which support the delivery of our services.

Workforce numbers

Staff category breakdown June 2010 June 2009 June 2008
Ambulance Clinical Services (mobile) 3,371.0 3,298.4 3,105.6
Ambulance Clinical Services (control centres) 291.0 288.3 261.9
Corporate Services 219.0 196.2 193.8
Hotel Services 8.0 15.3 15.3
Maintenance & Trades 53.0 57.0 56.0
Medical 22.0 14.2 13.6
Nursing 34.0 35.5 32.3
Scientific & technical clinical support staff 8.0 8.0 8.0
Support staff 119.0 100.5 91.8
Grand Total 4,125 4,013.5 3,778.3

In 2009/10, 185 paramedics were recruited. Of these new staff 171 were trainee paramedics and 14 were qualified paramedics and intensive care paramedics. During the same period 46 patient transport officers were recruited.

Staff turnover
We have a highly skilled and professional workforce employed across all facets of our operations and support services and invest a great deal of time and effort into looking after our employees. The development of staff wellbeing programs, such as Healthy Workplace Strategies introduced in 2009, aims to improve workplace culture, help staff members resolve issues causing concern in the workplace and ensure that they remain happy and committed.

Headcount and resignation numbers for 2009/10 by operational officer type is provided below.

Note: To accurately measure staff turnover, headcount (not full time equivalent) numbers are used as some staff may work on a part time or job-share basis.

Officer type Headcount as at
30 June 2010
Resignation as %
of officer type
Paramedic Trainees 182 24 13.19%
Paramedic Interns 419 9 2.15%
Paramedics 1,409 58 4.12%
Paramedic Specialists 706 16 2.27%
Patient Transport Officers 194 4 2.06%
Team Leaders 253 9 3.56%
Station Managers 56 4 7.14%
Nurses 40 4 10.00%
Other Operational 413 32 7.75%
Total 3,672 160 4.36%

Definitions of Officer Type

Paramedic Trainee: Trainee paramedics have completed an eight week induction course studying preliminary clinical and practical skills and undertaken driver awareness assessments. Trainee paramedics are assigned to a training station, either metropolitan or regional, where they commence a nine month on-road training program with an on-road clinical mentor applying their studies to a practical environment and are provided with full-time supervision.

Paramedic Intern: Paramedic Interns have completed their first 12 months of service and a further three weeks of classroom study, training and assessments and are continuing to apply their studies to a practical environment.

Paramedics: Paramedics have completed a three year (or equivalent) period of training, study and on-road practical, obtained a Diploma in Paramedical Science and are qualified as a paramedic. They have the ability to apply many life saving skills and drug administrations to assist in a wide variety of illnesses and accidental injuries.

Paramedic Specialist: After two year's experience within Ambulance, paramedics can apply to undertake specialist roles including Intensive Care Paramedic, Special Casualty Access Team Paramedic, Extended Care Paramedic and Rescue Paramedic.

Station Manager / Team Leader: Stations Managers are responsible for managing all the resources of their designated station including human, financial, equipment, etc. Team Leaders are responsible for managing station resources when station managers are on days off or during periods of leave.

Flight Nurse: Flight nurses are registered nurses employed by Ambulance for flight duties on our fixed wing aircraft.

Other Operational: This category includes operational managers, clinical/paramedic educators working in Ambulance education centres across the State, district officers and clinical training officers.